You have likely seen a “wet floor” sign in the supermarket at some point. This is because spills happen often. As a result, browsing the aisles of a grocery store can be more dangerous than you may realize. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents, how they occur, and what to do in the event of an injury.
Common causes of supermarket accidents:
- Slip and fall accidents due to spills in aisles or restrooms left unattended
- Unstable displays
- Defective automatic entrance and exit doors
- Loose produce or items falling from shelves
- Spoiled food left for unsuspecting customers to purchase or sample
- Trip and fall accidents, often due to poorly placed (or missing) floor mats
How long do I have to file a claim?
If you are recovering from a serious injury, taking legal action may be the last thing on your mind. But, it is important to act fast. This is because of a deadline known as a statute of limitations. In Maryland, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. To avoid missing any important deadlines, reach out to an attorney as soon as possible.
Fulfilling the burden of proof:
An accident can cause serious physical, financial, and emotional damage. As a result, you may deserve compensation to help ease some of these burdens. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will need to fulfill the burden of proof. You can do this by:
- Seek medical attention: Your health and safety are the number one priority. You should visit your doctor, the hospital, or an urgent care facility immediately after the accident occurs. It is important to see a doctor, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Notifying the manager: It is important to notify the manager as soon as an accident occurs. This will allow him or her to file an accident report. If possible, obtain a copy of this report.
- Document the scene: Take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident happen, they may be able to provide important witness testimony. Be sure to ask for their names and contact information.
If you have been injured in a supermarket accident, our firm will fight for you. Reach out today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.