When someone dies because of another person’s negligence, carelessness, or behavioral misconduct, it is called a wrongful death. When this happens, family members of the victim may deserve compensation. Read on to learn more about wrongful death claims in Maryland.
How do wrongful death accidents occur?
There are several ways in which a wrongful death could occur. The most common types of wrongful death claims involve:
- Defective products: If a product is faulty, has a poor design, or lacks warnings it can injure or even kill a consumer.
- Automobile accidents: When an accident and death occurs due to the negligence of another driver.
- Medical negligence: If a patient dies because a health care professional fails to provide them with the standard of care that is required of them.
Who can file a wrongful death claim?
A wrongful death claim is filed by a specific hierarchy of survivors who suffered harm as a result of their loss. According to the S. Department of Justice, the spouse, children, and parents of the deceased represent the first level of claimants. If no such parties exist, anyone related by blood or marriage form the second level of claimants, provided they were substantially dependent upon the victim. If you are unsure whether you can file a claim, reach out to our firm for more information.
What to know about compensation for wrongful death cases?
A death in the family is incredibly difficult no matter what. But, deaths caused by negligence are often sudden, causing families to struggle in a number of emotional and financial ways. As a result, the family of the deceased may be compensated for burdens such as:
- Medical expenses before death
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages for the deceased’s future earnings
- Anxiety and emotional distress
- The value of the services the deceased provided to the family
- The loss of guidance a parent provided a child
- The loss of support from a deceased spouse, parent, or child
If you lost a loved one due to negligence, you may need to file a wrongful death claim. This can be extremely difficult to do in a time of mourning, but our firm is here to advocate for you every step of the way. Reach out today to discuss your case with a passionate and empathetic personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.