A car accident can be financially devastating. If you are involved in an accident due to a negligent driver, you will likely be entitled to recover compensation. But what happens if that driver is uninsured? Read on to learn more.
What if I am hit by an uninsured motorist?
This is one of the most common questions our attorneys receive. Fortunately, the answer is relatively simple: Rather obviously, if you’ve been hit by an uninsured motorist, you cannot sue their insurance company because they do not have one. However, Maryland motorists are required by law to purchase uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage allows the wrongly injured to instead file a claim against their own insurance company when injured by an uninsured motorist. This generally covers at least $30,000 in damages per person, as well as a $60,000 cap per accident.
Fulfilling the burden of proof:
A large part of recovering compensation is providing proof of negligence. In order to obtain the necessary proof, it is important to:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, secure the scene, and more.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance, be sure to document the scene. To do this, you can take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their name and contact information. They may be able to provide important witness testimony.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to see a doctor, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, this can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- File your claim on time: There is a deadline known as a statute of limitations. In Maryland, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean forfeiting your right to take legal action, leaving you unable to recover the compensation you deserve. Don’t let this happen- reach out to an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
If you have been injured by an uninsured motorist, reach out to our firm. We will advocate for you every step of the way.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.