We never get behind the wheel of a car expecting an accident to occur. Unfortunately, car accidents are extremely common. As a result, it is important to know what causes car accidents and what to do in the event that an accident does occur. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Maryland.
How do accidents occur?
Car accidents can happen for any reason, such as faulty car parts, poor road conditions, and inclement weather. But, the majority of accidents are caused by driver negligence. Some of the most common types of driver negligence include:
- Drowsy driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Distracted driving
- Texting or other usages of a mobile device while driving
- Failure to yield
- Speeding excessively
- Failure to abide by stop signs or traffic lights
Steps to take after an accident:
If you are injured due to another driver’s negligence, you will likely be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. This involves providing proof that the accident was caused by the negligence of the other driver. You can do this by:
- Calling 911: It is important to call the police immediately after an accident occurs. This will allow the police to send an ambulance to the scene and file an accident report. This accident report can play a large role in a personal injury case.
- Documenting the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, be sure to take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Document your injuries as well as any damage done to all vehicles/property involved.
- Seeking medical attention: You may feel like a trip to the hospital is not necessary, but it is important to go regardless. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, this can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contacting an attorney: It is important to speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. A skilled attorney may be able to obtain additional evidence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you have been injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you will need a dedicated attorney to fight for you. Contact our firm today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.