You should absolutely avoid posting on social media after a personal injury accident. Read on to learn more.
What to know about social media:
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may suffer from medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. As a result, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, it is important to know that the negligent party’s attorney and insurance company are working to provide you with the least amount of compensation. In order to prove that you are not as injured as you claim, they may look at your social media posts.
Do’s and dont’s of social media after an accident
- Set all of your accounts to private: You should set all of your social media accounts to private as soon as an accident occurs.
- Avoid posting: You never know how a post can be used against you. Unfortunately, it is best to avoid posting on social media at all.
- Ask your friends and family to avoid posting about you on their accounts: While your accounts will be under scrutiny, posts from your friends and family may be looked at as well. If a friend posts about spending the day with you, or posts a photo of you engaging in an activity, insurance adjusters may use this to claim that your injuries are not as severe as they are.
- Accept new followers: A new follower may be an insurance adjuster or attorney attempting to access your profile.
- Assume you can post if your account is private: Just because your account is private doesn’t mean it can’t be accessed by an attorney. Things we post on the internet are permanent, even deleted content can come back to bite you.
- Disuss the accident: Posting your version of events can cause a lot of harm. For example, your words may be used against you to make it seem like the accident was your fault.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will likely be entitled to recover compensation. Reach out to our firm to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney. We will advocate for you every step of the way.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.