If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Maryland, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more.
How do pedestrian accidents occur?
Typically, pedestrian accidents are a result of negligent driving. Some of the most common examples of driver negligence include:
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving while drowsy
- Failing to follow the rules of the road
- Ignoring lights, signs, etc.
- Driving while intoxicated
In some cases, accidents can be caused by poor road conditions, inclement weather, and other factors that are out of a driver’s control. In other cases, the accident is due to pedestrian negligence. For example, failing to look both ways or crossing the street while texting can result in accidents. It is important for both drivers and pedestrians to take precautions when sharing the roads.
Can I recover compensation for a pedestrian accident in Maryland?
If you are eligible to recover compensation, there are two types of compensation you may be awarded:
- Economic damages: medical expenses, lost wages, the cost of rehabilitation, the need to hire in-home care, and more.
- Non-economic damages: pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
Fulfilling the burden of proof:
In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof of negligence. After an accident, be sure to:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to go to the hospital immediately after an accident, even if you do not believe you have sustained a serious injury. This will provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries, which can play a large role in a personal injury case.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to provide important witness testimony.
- Contact an attorney: A personal injury attorney may be able to provide even more proof, such as police reports, security camera footage, and more.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.