Personal injury cases are difficult. If you have sustained a serious injury, taking legal action may be the last thing on your mind. Additionally, attorneys and insurance agents will work to avoid providing you with the full amount of compensation you deserve. As a result, there are certain behaviors to avoid after an accident. Read on to learn more.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, and you intend to pursue legal action, it is important to take the following steps:
- Set all of your social media accounts to private
- Your social media can be used against you to prove that you are not as injured as you claim. In addition to setting your accounts to private, it is important to avoid accepting any new followers as they may be individuals seeking access to your information. Even posts that have been deleted can be accessed.
- Avoid posting
- You never know how a post can be used against you. For example, even posting a selfie can be used as proof that you’re not as injured as you claim. Unfortunately, it is best to avoid posting on social media at all.
- Ask your friends and family to avoid posting about you on their accounts: Your social media will be under heavy scrutiny, but accounts belonging to your friends and family may be looked at as well.
- Seek medical attention
- You may want to avoid going to the hospital, but it is important that you seek medical attention. This can provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Discuss the accident
- Posting your version of events can cause a lot of harm. For example, your words may be twisted to make it seem like the accident was your fault.
- It can be tempting to apologize after an accident, whether it is your fault or not. However, doing so can be detrimental to your case. Avoid apologizing, as it can be seen as an admission of guilt.
- Go at it alone
- It is imperative that you work with an experienced personal injury attorney. A skilled attorney will fight to recover the compensation you need and deserve.
If you have any questions or concerns, our firm is here to help. We will advocate for you every step of the way.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation