Boating is a fun and exciting activity, but it can be dangerous if you do not take the proper precautions. Read on to learn more about boat safety precautions and what to do if an injury occurs:
Boat Safety Precaution
Before taking out your boat, there are a number of important steps to take:
- Any signs of blade pitting should be immediately addressed
- If the boat is in the water, make sure the vessel is not taking on water
- Check for scrapes on the hull
- Ensure the through-hull connections are not leaking
- Closely check the transom, cockpit, gunwales, and the outer edge of the bow
- Always keep working flares on board in case of an emergency
- Make sure the anchor is firmly attached to the boat and has enough length of ground tackle
- Always keep an operating manual for the boat radio and engine on board
- Ensure you have all other necessary safety equipment on board such as fire extinguishers, personal flotation devices, ventilation, backfire flame arrestor, sound-producing devices, and marine sanitation devices
- Some of the documents you must have with you are: accident report forms, owner contact information, an updated registration decal, marine towing membership card, Certificate of Number, and vessel registration
What do I do if I am Injured in a Boat Accident?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will need to provide proof of negligence. To do this, be sure to:
- Call 911- The police can send help to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention- Be sure to go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after an accident. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Document the scene- While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, document the scene. If possible, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
If you have been injured in a boat accident, our firm will advocate for you. Reach out today to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.