Grocery shopping is an everyday task. When we go to the supermarket, we don’t expect to get injured. But, supermarket accidents actually happen more often than you might expect. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents and what to do in the event of an injury.
Common Causes of Supermarket Accidents
Supermarket accidents can be caused by any number of factors. But, some of the most common causes include:
- Slip and fall accidents due to spills in aisles or restrooms left unattended
- Unstable displays
- Defective automatic entrance and exit doors
- Loose produce or items falling from shelves
- Spoiled food left for unsuspecting customers to purchase or sample
- Trip and fall accidents, often due to poorly placed (or missing) floor mats
What to do in the Event of an Injury
If you are injured, there are some important steps you will want to take:
- Document the scene. Take pictures and video of the conditions that caused you to become injured.
- Notify management before leaving the store so they can write up an accident report. If the manager did not know that an accident occurred, it may hurt your case. Be sure to write down the manager’s name and try to obtain a copy of their accident report.
- If there were any witnesses to the accident, be sure to obtain their contact information because they may be able to help support your claim if necessary.
- It is also important to seek medical attention at either the emergency room, with your own doctor, or at an urgent care facility so that a doctor can document the origin and extent of your injuries. This can be crucial when trying to recover damages.
What is the Statute of Limitations?
Taking legal action can feel daunting, but it is imperative that you begin the process as soon as possible. In Maryland, the statute of limitations is generally three years from the date of the injury. This means that if you fail to file your personal injury claim within three years, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation. To avoid missing any important deadlines, reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a supermarket accident, contact our firm today. We understand the impact an injury can have physically, financially, and emotionally and we want to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.