Mass transportation is an incredibly common way to get around. You have most likely spent some time on a bus or train, whether it be the quickest way to get to work, see a friend, or get to class. While mass transit accidents are not extremely common, they can be detrimental when they do occur. For this reason, it is important to know what to do in the event of an accident. Read on for more information regarding bus and train accidents in Maryland.
Most Common Causes of Accidents
Mass transit accidents can be caused by any number of reasons. Many accidents are due to the negligence of bus drivers, or other drivers on the road. Some of the most common causes of accidents include:
- Faulty train or bus parts
- Failure to maintain vehicles
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Excessive speed
- Failure to maintain train and bus stations
What to do After Being Involved in an Accident
When it comes to mass transit accidents, there are a few important steps to take to ensure that your injuries are treated, other passengers are tended to, and to help you file a personal injury claim.
- Call 911. Even if you do not believe you are injured, you should get checked out to be sure. Additionally, others at the scene may be injured and in need of medical attention.
- Document the scene. It is always important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Swap contact information with the other passengers. This can help if you need someone to corroborate your version of events later on.
- At the hospital, make sure to ask your doctor for copies of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. An attorney can help gather further proof, for example, accessing security footage or police records.
- Make sure to file your personal injury claim on time. In Maryland, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. If you fail to file on time you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation.
- After an accident, make sure you do not post on social media as this can be seriously detrimental to your case.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bus or train accident, contact our firm today to speak with a skilled and dedicated personal injury attorney. We want to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.