When it comes to crossing the street, we tend to be extremely vigilant. We are taught to use sidewalks, look both ways before crossing, only cross at crosswalks, and to wait patiently for the “walk” sign that appears when it is safe to cross. Despite the precautions we take, pedestrian accidents still occur often. These accidents are often severe. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about Maryland pedestrian accidents.
Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can be caused by any number of factors, but the most common causes include:
- Speeding drivers
- Distracted, reckless, or careless drivers
- Drivers who fail to turn on their headlights at night
- Drivers who fail to abide by crosswalks, stop signs, red lights, or yield signs
- Intoxicated drivers
- Obstructed visibility on the roads that make it hard to see people walking
- Pedestrians that fail to use the crosswalk
- Pedestrians that use the crosswalk but not when the light signals that it is safe for them to cross
Can I Recover Compensation for a Pedestrian Accident?
In some cases, you will be eligible to recover compensation. In order to do so, you will have to prove that some sort of negligence occurred to cause your accident. If you are injured by a vehicle, make sure to call 911. The police can file a report, call an ambulance, conduct chemical tests, and record witness statements. If possible, collect the other party’s contact and insurance information. If anyone witnessed your accident occur, take their information as well, as they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Lastly, at the hospital, ask your doctor for copies of any medical documents.
If you are eligible to recover compensation, there are two types of compensation you may be awarded:
- Economic damages: medical expenses, lost wages, the cost of rehabilitation, the need to hire in-home care, and more.
- Non-economic damages: pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Maryland, contact our firm to discuss your case. We understand the impact an accident can have and we will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.