Crossing the street is more dangerous than many people realize. Even when you take all proper precautions and make sure to look both ways before crossing, accidents can still occur. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in Maryland.
Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can occur for a number of reasons. Some accidents are caused by inclement weather, poor road conditions, or faulty car parts. Other accidents are caused by the negligence of a pedestrian. For example, pedestrians that fail to use crosswalks, ignore light signals, or cross while distracted can be seriously injured. But, the majority of accidents are a result of driver negligence. The most common forms of driver negligence include:
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving while drowsy
- Failing to follow the rules of the road
- Ignoring lights, signs, etc.
- Driving while intoxicated
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you are injured due to the negligence of another party, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. To gather the necessary evidence, it is important to take the following steps, if possible:
- Call 911- The police can file an accident report and take witness statements, among other things.
- Document the scene- It is important to take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their name and contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events later on.
- Seek medical attention- If you have been struck by a vehicle, you are likely facing serious injuries. It is important to go to the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by medical professionals, while also providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact a personal injury attorney- An experienced attorney may be able to obtain further evidence including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Maryland, contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney today. Our firm is here to advocate for you and walk you through the process every step of the way.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.