As the weather begins to warm and spring truly feels upon us, more and more people will begin taking their bicycles out on the roads once again. May is National Bicycle Safety Month, which is why we feel it necessary to inform you of some of the various things you can do to ensure your safety and that of those around you. Below, our Maryland personal injury attorneys have compiled a short list of various preventative measures you can take to avoid a bicycle accident. Please continue reading to learn more.
- Thoroughly inspect your bicycle each time before setting out. A quick inspection before heading out can save you big time in the long run. Ensure your brakes are working, your chain is in proper condition, your tires are full of pressure, and more.
- Always travel in the same direction as traffic. Never ride in the opposite direction of traffic, and when you are riding, ensure you do so in a straight, predictable line, and always use hand signals before turning.
- Wear a helmet. There are several helmet options available, however, you should purchase and wear a helmet that is in compliance with U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards.
- Obey the rules and regulations of the road. All motorists are required to obey traffic laws in Maryland, and bicyclists are no different. This means you must always stop at stop signs, obey traffic lights, and never cycle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Make yourself seen. Wear bright clothes, ensure your bike has reflectors, and install lights if you plan on biking at night.
- Observe your surroundings and be ready to adjust. Negligent motorists, loose debris in the road, lack of shoulder, and more can all cause serious accidents if you are not constantly on the lookout.
Unfortunately, though many cyclists take all the safety precautions they can, they still find themselves seriously injured in accidents as a result of another motorist’s negligence. If you are someone who was injured for no fault of your own, you most likely have a valid personal injury claim going forward. Do not wait another day–our firm can help you through every step of the claims process. Our Maryland personal injury attorneys will gather and present evidence as effectively as possible to maximize your chances of winning the compensation you need to heal. Give us a call today–we are ready to help you.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.