Truck accidents are serious. If you or a loved one has been hurt in one, do not wait to discuss your legal options. Our Baltimore County truck accident attorneys are on your side.
What are the common causes of truck accidents in Maryland?
There are a number of different causes of truck accidents in Maryland, and in the majority of cases, they are a result of driver negligence. Most of the causes of these accidents that our firm has witnessed include the following:
- Reckless driving: If a truck driver is operating their vehicle irresponsibly, it can be challenging for them to keep control of the vehicle and stop it if required. The average truck demands a span of about two football fields to reach a full stop. If trucks are being driven recklessly, it can be hard to operate the truck properly and safely.
- Drowsy driving: Federal law permits truck drivers 11 hours on the road within a 14-hour workday, permitting them to put in no more than 70 hours a week. This is because if a driver drives any longer than the allocated period, it can result in an accident due to driving while drowsy.
- Safety regulations: If a truck driver decides not to follow the rules of the road, an accident can happen. This includes changing lanes unsafely, passing other vehicles dangerously, or driving behind other vehicles too closely.
- Poor visibility: Trucks have a limited view of the road because of their size. Their large blind spots can trap other smaller vehicles and cause an accident to occur.
- Mechanical problems: It is possible for trucks to fail because of mechanical problems. This can include tire blowouts, brake issues, breakdowns, and more.
What are the different types of truck accidents?
There are a number of different kinds of truck accidents, however, the most common include:
- Blindspot accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Rollover accidents
- Underride accidents
- Jackknife accidents
How can I satisfy the burden of proof?
If you were injured in a truck accident and would like to pursue legal action for the physical, emotional, and financial burdens you have sustained as a result, it is important that you take several important steps. This is because you will have to demonstrate that some form of negligence occurred. The best way to achieve this is by taking the following measures:
- Call 911. The police will send an ambulance to the scene, direct traffic to keep the roads safe, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and obtain witness statements.
- Document the scene. If you can, take photos and videos of any damage done to your car, the truck, and any property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to confirm your understanding of the accident.
- Seek medical attention. It is important that you seek medical attention at a hospital to assure your injuries are properly treated. Be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical records.