Though we seldom expect a serious accident while walking into a supermarket, down the sidewalk, or across a parking lot, the truth is, slip and fall accidents happen nearly every day, and if you have recently been injured in one, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation to help cover the cost of your medical bills, lost wages, in-home care, and more. Fortunately, our firm has helped the wrongly injured across Baltimore for years, and we are ready to do the same for you. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Maryland personal injury attorneys to learn more about how we can help you through the premises liability claims process. Here are some of the questions you may have:
How do I sue a property owner for an injury?
To sue a negligent property owner, you will have to satisfy the burden of proof. For a slip and fall accident, you will have to prove that the property owner knew or should have reasonably known about the unsafe conditions present, failed to have them fixed in a timely fashion and that you were injured as a result. However, this is frequently easier said than done, so it is always best to follow these steps after a slip and fall accident:
- Call the police. They will document the incident and send an ambulance on your behalf.
- While you wait for your ambulance, take pictures of the scene of the accident, as well as any injuries you’ve sustained.
- Ask those who saw your accident happen for their phone numbers, emails, and other contact information so they may corroborate your claim if need be.
- Ensure you obtain all medical documents relating to your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who is ready to fight for your rights.
What does “statute of limitations mean”?
Every state has a statute of limitations in place to determine how long individuals have from the date of their accident to file a lawsuit against a negligent party. The statute of limitations in Maryland for premises liability lawsuits is three years, so if you wait any longer than three years, you will most likely be denied the compensation you deserve. That being said, the sooner you file, the better, which is why if you have been injured, you should not hesitate to reach out to our experienced personal injury team today. We are here to help.
Contact our experienced Maryland firm
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.