According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. Surprisingly, this has occurred with a major decrease in road traffic due to COVID-19, stay-at-home orders, and travel restrictions. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on for more information regarding car accidents in Maryland.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
If you are involved in a car accident, there is a good chance it is due to driver negligence. Negligence is the most common cause of car accidents, with texting and driving being the leading cause. Some other forms of negligence include:
- Drowsy driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield
- Speeding excessively
- Failure to abide by stop signs or traffic lights
What do I do if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to do so, you will have to prove that this negligence occurred. You can do this by:
- Calling 911: The police can call you an ambulance, help keep the scene safe, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Documenting the scene: Make sure to take photos and videos of the damage that occurred to any cars and property involved. Additionally, if possible, gather the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident occur as they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seeking medical attention: It is important to go to the hospital immediately after an accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents and bills.
- Contacting a personal injury attorney: A skilled personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including police reports and security camera footage.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Maryland, contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.