As the winter season approaches, you may find yourself traveling. Hotels have lots of amenities to keep guests comfortable and entertained. Unfortunately, if these amenities are not maintained at all times, serious accidents can occur. Read on to learn more about hotel accidents in Maryland and what to do if an accident occurs.
How do hotel accidents occur?
In Maryland, property owners are responsible for keeping the premises maintained at all times. In hotels, this can be done by conducting routine inspections to ensure that no hazards are present. If these inspections are not conducted, or hazards are not addressed in time, guests can experience life-altering injuries. The most common accidents include:
- Accidents due to inadequate security
- Accidents due to inadequate lighting
- Food poisoning
- Unsanitary conditions, such as poor water quality or bug infestations
- Swimming pool accidents
- Defective furniture accidents
- Gym equipment accidents
- Escalator/elevator accidents
- Sidewalk accidents
- Stairway accidents
What do I do if I am injured in a hotel accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. To recover the compensation you deserve, you will need to fulfill the burden of proof. In order to do this, be sure to take the following steps:
- Alert the manager: It is important to notify the hotel manager right away when an accident occurs. This will allow him or her to file an accident report. If possible, obtain a copy of this report.
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, interview witnesses, and more.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to provide important witness testimony. Ask their name and contact information.
- Seek medical attention: Be sure to go to a doctor right away, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, going to the doctor can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
If you have been injured in a hotel accident in Maryland, our firm will advocate for you. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.