The weather is getting warmer and we will begin to open our pools. Unfortunately, swimming pool accidents occur more than you may realize. As a result, it is important to understand how to keep a swimming pool safe and what to do if an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about swimming pool accidents in Maryland.
How to keep a pool safe?
In order to keep a swimming pool safe, it is important to keep the following precautions in mind:
- Do not allow electronic devices near the pool
- Be sure that there is proper covers, alarms, barrier, and fencing surrounding the pool
- Ensure the pool has drain covers
- Ensure that all guests are able to swim property if the pool is too deep for guests to stand comfortably in the water
- When the pool is not in use, stow away portable latter to avoid children from having access to the pool
- Be sure that everyone swimming understands where the shallow parts of the pool start and stop
- Never leave a child unattended in or around the water
- Have someone on the property who can perform CPR if necessary
- Do not swim while intoxicated
What do I do if an accident occurs?
The majority of pool accidents occur due to pool owner negligence. If you or a loved one has been injured due to another party’s negligence, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911
- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention
- It is important to seek medical attention as soon as an accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents, as this may play a major role in a personal injury case.
- Document the scene
- Before going to the hospital, be sure to take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to provide important witness testimony.
- Contact an attorney
- An experienced personal injury attorney can help you fulfill the burden of proof and recover the compensation you need and deserve.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation