Trucks are incredibly dangerous because of how large and heavy they are. When truck accidents occur, the consequences can be serious. Read on to learn more about truck accidents in Maryland and what to do in the event of an injury.
How Are Truck Accidents Caused?
Truck accidents can be caused by a variety of different factors. For the most part, accidents can be traced back to:
- Reckless driving: If a truck driver drives unsafely, it can be more difficult to fully control the vehicle and bring it to a complete stop. The average truck needs the length of about two football entire fields in order to come to a complete stop.
- Safety regulations: Truck drivers may fail to follow safe road regulations if they partake in reckless driving, such as improper lane change, incorrectly passing other vehicles, or following too closely behind other drivers.
- Poor visibility: Because of their weight and size, trucks have limited visibility and cannot see every spot on the road. These blind spots often result in accidents by trapping smaller vehicles.
- Drowsy driving: Truck drivers are limited by law to the amount of time they are able to spend on the road. Drivers are allowed to work 11 hours within a 14-hour workday, allotting them no more than 70 hours of driving a week. If a driver breaks these laws, they may cause an accident by drowsy driving.
- Mechanical problems: Trucks can crash as a result of mechanical issues. This may include tire blowouts, brake issues, breakdowns, and more.
- Impaired Driving: Drinking and driving is incredibly dangerous. If a truck driver gets behind the wheel while intoxicated, serious accidents can occur.
What Do I Do if I am Injured?
If you are injured due to the negligence of a truck driver or company, you may be entitled to recover compensation. It can be difficult to recover compensation for an accident in the state of Maryland, so you will need the help of a skilled personal injury attorney. Additionally, you will have to prove that the accident was caused by negligence. In order to do this, it is important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident, documenting any damage done to your car, the truck, and any property involved. Additionally, you should seek medical attention. At the hospital, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you will need the help of a dedicated attorney. Contact our firm today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.