How Long Do You Have to File Premises Liability Claims in Maryland?

broken wet floor sign

When running errands or shopping with a friend, the last thing you expect is to sustain an injury. Though you may think of it as an unfortunate accident, when negligence on behalf of the property owner causes your injuries, you may be eligible to receive compensation. If you want to receive justice for any damages you sustained on another person’s property, it’s essential to understand how to proceed. The following blog explores what you should know about filing premises liability claims and how Baltimore County slip and fall attorneys can help.

What Are Common Premises Liability Claims?

When someone is injured, they may file a claim or lawsuit against the negligent party. Most common premises liability lawsuits involve:

  • Slips and Falls
  • Hazards
  • Swimming pool injuries
  • Failure to secure fixtures to the wall or floor
  • Inadequate security

While these are not the only ways someone can sustain an injury, these are some of the most commonly reported injuries. When a visitor is injured on the property due to the owner’s negligence, they will most likely be held responsible. This is because property owners must fulfill their duty of care. For example, if there is an unmarked wet spot in a retail store and a customer slips, the store owner would be liable. If a guest visiting a friend is bitten by the homeowner’s aggressive dog, the owner is responsible.

It is essential to understand that trespassers generally cannot receive damages for injuries they sustain on a property where they are uninvited. This is because home and business owners have no duty of care to remedy hazards for those who are unlawfully on their property.

What Is the Statute of Limitations?

It is critical to know how long you have after an accident or injury to file a claim against a negligent property owner. In Maryland, the statute of limitations is three years. This means you must file the lawsuit within three years from the date of your accident, or you lose the right to pursue compensation.

However, this timeframe differs if injured on municipal or government property. If you believe that the city is responsible for your injury, such as if you were hurt due to a poorly maintained, city-owned parking lot or your injuries were caused by a broken stair in a municipal building, you only have one year to pursue justice. As such, you must provide a claim letter to the appropriate office detailing your injury and requesting damages as a result.

When you are injured due to the negligence of a property owner, you’ll want to invest in the assistance of an attorney. At the Law Offices of Markey & Orsi, our legal team will work with you to help you navigate the complex legal system. Contact us today to learn how we will fight for you.

Reach Out
To Us Today
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.