Unfortunately, car accidents are incredibly common. While some accidents are caused by bad weather, poor road conditions, or manufacturing issues, the majority of car accidents are a result of driver negligence. Read on to learn more about the most common types of negligence and what to do if you are involved in a car accident in Maryland.
Examples of negligence:
When drivers fail to follow the rules of the road, life-altering accidents can occur. Some of the most common examples of driver negligence include:
- Drowsy driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Distracted driving
- Texting or other usages of a mobile device while driving
- Failure to yield
- Speeding excessively
- Failure to abide by stop signs or traffic lights
What do I do if I am involved in a car accident?
If you are involved in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you need and deserve, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, interview witnesses, and more.
- Seek medical attention- It is important to go to the hospital, even if you do not feel you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, going to the hospital will provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Document the scene- While you wait for the ambulance to arrive, it is important to document the scene of the accident. To do so, take pictures and videos of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any property that was damaged in the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events or provide important witness testimony. Be sure to ask for their name and contact information.
- Reach out to an attorney- An accident can take a serious toll physically, emotionally, and financially. If you were injured due to another party’s negligence, you likely deserve compensation to help combat these burdens. An experienced attorney can help you fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, our firm will fight for you. Contact us today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.