If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence of another party, you may be wondering about your legal options. If a wrongful death accident has occurred you will likely be entitled to recover compensation. While financial compensation in no way eases the pain of losing a loved one, it can help lessen the financial burdens you may face as a result. Read on to learn more about wrongful death cases in Maryland.
Common wrongful death cases:
There are several ways in which a wrongful death could occur. Lawsuits are typically pursued in the event of the following situations:
- Defective products: This type of case occurs when a product is faulty, has a poor design, or lacks warnings that lead to the injury or death of a consumer.
- Automobile accidents: This case occurs when a negligent driver causes the death of another driver, passenger, pedestrian, cyclist, etc.
- Medical negligence: This case occurs when a patient dies because a health care professional fails to provide them with the standard of care.
Types of compensation awarded in wrongful death claims:
If you have lost a loved one due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation to help cover the following:
- Medical expenses before death
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages for the deceased’s future earnings
- Anxiety and emotional distress
- The value of the services the deceased provided to the family
- The loss of guidance a parent provided a child
- The loss of support from a deceased spouse, parent, or child
Who can file a wrongful death claim?
It is important to understand that not everyone can file a wrongful death claim. In Maryland, the spouse, children, and parents of the deceased can file. If no such parties exist, anyone related by blood or marriage can file a claim, provided they were substantially dependent upon the victim.
A wrongful death case can be devastating. As a result, you will need a skilled and tactful attorney to walk you through the process. Our firm is here to advocate for you every step of the way. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.