Speeding is common practice. However, it is incredibly dangerous and can lead to deadly car accidents. As a result, it is important to know what to do if you notice a driver speeding and the steps to take in the event of an accident. Read on to learn more about speeding accidents in Maryland.
What makes speeding so dangerous?
When drivers speed, they run the risk of:
- Greater potential for loss of vehicle control
- Reduced effectiveness of occupant protection equipment
- Decreased stopping distance after the driver perceives danger
- Increased degree of crash severity leading to more severe injuries
What do I do if a driver is speeding?
If you notice a driver is speeding, there are some actions to take in order to avoid a potential accident:
- If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, move over and let them by.
- Give speeding drivers plenty of space.
- Adjust your driving accordingly. If a speeding driver is tailgating you or trying to engage you in risky driving, use judgment to safely steer your vehicle out of the way.
- Call the police if you believe a driver is following you or harassing you.
What is the statute of limitations?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you need and deserve, you will have to file your claim on time. This deadline refers to the statute of limitations. A statute of limitations is the amount of time you have to pursue legal action. Once this deadline passes, you can no longer take action, therefore forfeiting your right to recover compensation. In Maryland, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally three years from the date of the accident. Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible to avoid missing any important deadlines.
If you have been injured in an accident caused by another driver’s negligence, our firm will advocate for you. We are here to support you every step of the way. Reach out today to discuss your case with a skilled and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.