Dog bite injuries can be serious. If you were hurt by one, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to speak with one of our dedicated and experienced Baltimore County dog bite attorneys.
Who can be held responsible for a dog bite injury?
In the state of Maryland, pet owners are held liable for the conduct of their dogs. This indicates that if their dog attacks or causes harm to another person or animal, the dog owner will generally be held responsible for that action. It is also important to acknowledge that in order to have a significant claim against a dog owner for a dog bite injury, the injured party must prove that they were attacked in a public place or while they were lawfully on private property. If the dog owner can demonstrate that the injured person actually provoked their dog, which resulted in a bite, a legal claim may not be feasible. Furthermore, if the dog bite happened while a person was trespassing on another’s property when he or she was bitten, a lawsuit may also not be possible.
What signs can suggest an infection from a dog bite wound?
A dog bite can result in torn ligaments, broken bones, diseases, and more. Another common effect of dog bite accidents is infection. Some signs to look out for include:
- Chills or fever
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling or tenderness around the wound
- Pus coming from the wound
- Stiffness or weakness in the muscles
- Tingling or red marks around the wound
How can I satisfy the burden of proof?
If you were hurt by a dog because of an owner’s negligence, you may be eligible to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you need to heal and move forward, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. This may include the following:
- Contacting 911: The police can dispatch an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, ensure the scene is safe, and more.
- Seeking medical attention: You may assume that you do not have to go to the hospital. However, it is imperative that you seek medical attention after a dog bite. Dog bites can result in diseases and infections.
- Documenting the scene: Before leaving the scene of the accident, take photos and videos of the scene.
If you were injured by a dog in Maryland, our legal team is on your side. Give us a call today to explore your case with a qualified personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLAND FIRM
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.