Social media is a huge part of our lives. Most of us post about major events, both good and bad. It is a way to keep in touch with our friends and family and remain engaged. In the event of an injury, when it comes to posting on social media, you must be extremely cautious. As soon as you file a personal injury claim, your social media will be under heavy scrutiny. If you sue another party for negligence, their attorney and insurance agents might attempt to use your social media posts against you. Read on to learn more about posting on social media after a personal injury and the consequences it may carry.
- Set your accounts to private
- Ask your family and friends to refrain from posting and tagging any photos of you
- Post about your injury or the accident at all
- You might accidentally admit fault. For example, if you state, “I never saw them coming,” a defense attorney may attempt to use this to prove the accident was actually your fault.
- Post any pictures of yourself, your injury, your recovery process
- This may be used to argue that your physical condition is not as bad as you have stated
- Post any activities
- Even the smallest post can cause an attorney to believe you are not as seriously injured as you claim. For example, simply taking a walk and posting about it can be used against you.
- Accept any new followers
- This may be a member of the other party attempting to gain access to your information
- Believe that being on private or deleting your posts keeps your information safe
- It is important to understand that even if you are on private, a defense attorney may still be able to access your information, even gaining access to deleted posts and private messages.
- Post updates
- It is natural to want to reassure your loved ones that you are doing well and recovering quickly, but this also sends the message to the defense that you are doing well, despite your injury.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence of another party, you may be entitled to receive compensation. If you wish to take legal action, it is important to be conscious of your social media presence. If you have any questions regarding social media or your case, reach out to a skilled personal injury attorney today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.