If you have been injured on an individual or establishment’s property, there is a good chance you will be entitled to recover compensation. This is because of premises liability law. Under premises liability law, a property owner is responsible for keeping the property safe for any visitiors. Read on to learn more about premises liability cases in Maryland.
Building a Premises Liability Case
In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof of negligence. You will have to be able to prove that the property owner was aware of the hazard that caused your accident, or that the owner should have reasonably been aware of the hazard. To obtain the proof you need, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911- The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene- Take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events or provide information from another perspective.
- Seek medical attention- You should visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after the accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated, while also providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. This can play a large role in a personal injury case, so be sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an attorney- A personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including police reports, security camera footage, and more.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to file your claim within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In Maryland, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will most likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve. Reach out to an experienced attorney right away to avoid missing nay important deadlines.
If you or a loved one has been injured on another party’s property, reach out to our firm today. We will fight to recover the compensation you need and deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.