Garbage collectors are an integral part of society. However, garbage truck accidents occur more often than you may realize. Read on to learn more about garbage truck accidents in Maryland.
How do garbage truck accidents occur?
Like most car accidents, the majority of garbage truck accidents are a result of driver negligence, including:
- Distracted driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Dumping waste that hits another vehicle or person, or causes an obstacle in the road
- Falling objects from the truck
- Failure to check blind spots
- Driving under the influence
- Failure to follow the rules of the road
- Poorly maintained vehicle
- Hazardous waste spill
- Lack of training
Who is responsible for a garbage truck accident?
As you can see, there are numerous ways for an accident to occur and there are numerous parties who may be held responsible, including:
- Truck driver: The driver may be held responsible if he or she drives negligently and causes an accident as a result.
- Waste removal company: The company that hired the driver may be held responsible if the driver does not receive adequate training.
- Truck owner: The truck owner may be held responsible if he or she sells a truck that is faulty.
- Vehicle maintenance company: If the maintenance company fails to keep the vehicle adequately maintained, the company can be held responsible for accidents that ensue as a result.
- Manufacturers: You may have a product liability case if an accident is caused by faulty parts, vehicle malfunctions, etc.
- Municipality/ government entity: If the truck is city-owned and operated, you may hold the municipality responsible.
What is the statute of limitations in Maryland?
In order to recover the compensation you deserve for a garbage truck accident, you will have to file your claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In Maryland, the statute of limitations is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will typically mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. To avoid missing any important deadlines, be sure to contact an attorney as soon as possible.
If you have been injured in a garbage truck accident, our firm is here to help. Contact us today to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLAND FIRM
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.