Car accidents can occur for any number of reasons. Often, these accidents occur in the blink of an eye. Many accidents are due to inclement weather, poor road conditions, or faulty car parts. But, the majority of accidents are due to driver negligence. In fact, distracted driving is the leading cause of car accidents in the United States. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Maryland.
What do I do if I am Injured in a Car Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. In order to fulfill the burden of proof, it is important to:
- Call 911
- The police can call an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene
- Take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to document the damage done to any vehicles and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events, which can play a large role when it comes to a personal injury case.
- Seek medical attention immediately
- It is important that you visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after the accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced attorney
- A skilled personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
- Make sure to file your claim in time
- If you wish to take legal action, you will have to do so within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In Maryland, the statute of limitations is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within three years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
An injury can take a major toll physically, emotionally, mentally, and financially. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensations for these burdens. Our firm is here to help you recover the compensation you need and deserve to heal.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
The legal team at Markey & Orsi has proudly represented injured clients throughout the state of Maryland for almost 30 years. If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence and require strong legal representation, contact Markey & Orsi today to schedule a consultation.